Marine Corps Marathon

I came back this morning to revisit this post and take the time to write up a decent race report. All too often, I forget the importance of documenting these events and instead push it off and treat it as an after thought.
My approach to Marine Corps marathon this year wasn't much different than in other years. The marathon always falls at the end of the season and I don't really have many expectations for how I am going to perform. Marine Corps is the marathon I run because of the emotions it evokes within me- I run for Team Fisher House which means that I'm participating in something bigger than myself. This isn't a marathon I run for personal records or recognition. Participating in this event reminds me - if only for 24 or 48 hours- that we are at war and the men and women on the course, both running and 'volunteering', are serving or have served our country selfishly, without regard for their personal well-being. Some people are on the course to memorialize loved ones currently serving or who have made the ultimate sacrifice. In my opinion, it doesn't get much better than that.

This year I was coming off from an amazing month of running in September and as a result my body is tired, my weight is still up, and emotionally I'm just drained. Leading up to the marathon I was less disciplined than I should have been. Back in August we discovered a Richmond-based brewery and the day before the marathon they were hosting a 1st Anniversary/Birthday bash. In addition to that, the Richmond ALS walk was scheduled in the morning - perfect. We could participate in both events and still make it home in time to settle in early and get a good night of sleep. Instead, on the drive home we got into a huge fight about running the trails alone.
By the time that settled out I was exhausted and emotionally drained but yet my mind was racing so my sleep was restless and anything but restorative. Fast Forward to Sunday  morning. . . Hurricane Sandy was making her way up the East coast and there was a buzz in the air. Was it going to rain? What were the temperatures? What to pack? It seemed like we arrived earlier than in previous years (or else everyone else was late) which resulted in a lot of standing around. The Marines planned for the worst and the results made for a pleasant start/finish. The tents were buttoned down and secured, rubber mats covered the ground and the VIP tent seemed to be heated. Things were still tense but I couldn't let that affect me. . . my GI was off and something just wasn't right- my legs were heavy and I was fatigued (beer-logged?). I attempted to find friends at the 5:00 mark but that was a goat-rodeo. In the end I settled in with the 4:00 group and set off. As always it was crowded and all too often I found myself stuck behind someone slower than me for the first couple of miles. Before I get ahead of myself let me backtrack. In an attempt to flush out my GI I drank a lot of water while we were standing around. This resulted in a very full, read: uncomfortable, bladder at the start of the marathon. After the first mile I spotted a set of port-a-johns in Arlington and peeled off to relieve myself. Instant relief! After that I was good to go but still had a lingering fatigue and lethargy. Around mile 9 I stopped and walked for about 30 seconds. I remember telling myself that if I was going to finish than I needed to be smart. Right around that time I found my groove and settled in.  All these months of training and running/racing through the fatigue and pain paid off. Looking back at my splits it makes sense that I was fatigued between miles 9-14. . .I was running at a pretty swift clip. Instinctively I dropped back about 30 seconds per mile (I only know this by looking at my splits) and as a result I was able to finish strong. Running through Crystal City I was a little worried about the finish. My legs were toast and I was putting everything I had into keeping my form and continuing to run. Head up, shoulders back, arms relaxed. . . feet moving forward.
At the base of the hill (Mile 26) I looked up and thought to myself, 'that hill ain't nothin', I've got this.' Right about that time I heard my name, saw Stacey (TFH trainer), and she ran with me the first 20 feet up the hill. I dug deep which resulted in me pushing past people and dodging walkers. Once again, I sprinted up that hill and into the finish.  Sharing my most favorite image below.  Yes, that would be me, dodging a walker.


My splits: [1] 9:34 [2] 10:45 [3] 9:54 [4]8:57 [5]10:13 [6] 9:19 [7] 10:43 [8] 9:34 [9] 9:36 [10] 9:08 [11] 9:54 [12] 9:21 [13] 9:35 [14] 10:08 [15] 10:00 [16] 10:04 [17] [18] 20:14 [19] 10:17 [20] 9:36 [21]10:00 [22]10:24 [23] 10:04 (I stopped tracking after mile 23).










Monday morning I felt amazing with virtually no tension, tightness or restrictions in my movements. Another marathon down. Season complete.Something deep within me is changing and I'm believing in my body's capabilities again. I am training my body to push through the discomfort and fatigue to reach the next level through smart training and discipline.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog