ICY 8 - 2016

Retroactively writing a race report - We'll see how this goes.
Leading up to the ICY-8 I decided that I needed to focus and get serious about my running if I was going to make it through the spring ultra season.  I'd gained at least 10 lbs since Thanksgiving (blame the beer and Christmas cookies, doh!) I brought Ori with me - it was a cold morning that much I remember.  After checking in I caught up w/ Mike for a bit and then gathered around for the pre-race brief. After the start I went back to my car, got Ori and we set off a good 5 minutes behind everyone - I didn't want him getting in anyone's way.  2016 is my 8th (?) year running this race.  I've missed a few years due to inactivity or snow storms (2010) but one thing is for sure, I've determined that no way, no how would I ever run the 8-mile loop - sigh.  With Ori in tow I made the decision to run the 8-mile loop twice so that he could run free without getting in anyone's way.  It was actually quite nice to be out there with him - he created a very nice distraction and the 8-mile loop ended up not being that bad.  After two loops I decided that he'd had enough (and he did, too) - I put him in the car w/ some treats and set out for another few loops to get my 30 for the day.  I figured out that if I ran 3 of the 4.7-mile loops I'd do just enough to make my ultra and call it a day - so that's what I did! I knew that I had Holiday Lake 50k the next weekend and I was not about to blow myself up on this race. 

Ironically after this race I was home, showered and out and about by 5:30.  I was meeting up w/ B- and his friends from out of town.  We were only supposed to meet up for a beer - and then I was going home to bed.  As it turned out I was out with them until well past 11:00 and could barely keep my eyes open.  It was a good day, a good day, indeed!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog