Providence Marathon

Providence Marathon 2009 Race Report
I really had no business running this marathon which, I suspect, is exactly why I ran it. It all started with Vicky and I organizing our weekend plans; specifically scheduling for Saturday. Our conversation went something like this:
VICKY: So what time is the wedding? ME: 4:00, downtown Providence. VICKY: What time do you think you want to be at the church? ME: Somewhere around 3:45. VICKY: Okay, well I need to go into Providence to pick up my bib for my race in the morning. ME: Can I come along? VICKY: Sure. ME: Which race is this? VICKY: The Providence ½ marathon but there’s also a 5k and marathon. ME: hmmm. I could run the marathon. VICKY: Do you want to? ME: Yeah, I think I do. I need RI.
And that is how it all came to fruition. Fast forward to race morning. . . Vicky wakes me up around 0600. After deciding that Vaseline is just as good as Body Glide, that Cliff Shots are just as good as Powerbar gummy things (I still don’t know their proper name), and that a using the free Rhode Runners water bottle w/out the hand grip was suitable , we were off. We arrive in PVD, find parking and immediately set off in search of a bathroom. The host hotel bathroom has a line 30+ people long; okay, off in search of another. Success in the Dunkin’ Donuts Center! Now begins the hunt for bag drop. At the start line various vendors are setting up their wares, there’s a row of jiffy johns curbside and the masseuses are already at work but bag drop is nowhere in sight. Eventually we run into some other Tuesday Night Turtles, figure out bag drop is two blocks away in the hotel (!!!!) and I send Vicky on her way to warm up. Who needs to warm up when you’re running 26.2, or 4.5 hours?! That’s what miles 1 & 2 are for. Back to bag drop – run into a college friend (who I passed several times but thought, ‘that can’t be Matt, he looks too young’ !!!) and got myself to the Start w/ about 5 minutes to spare. Mind you, this race was FUBR – Marathoners and ½ marathoners mixed in, which isn’t necessarily bad but no sense of organization, no direction, and a pack of 20 or so Team in Training ‘walkers’ informing everyone that they’ll be ‘walking this one’ about 15 feet in front of me. Oy!
Race start: It sure felt good to be running through downtown Providence. In front of the Wild Colonial there was a guy, presumably a RISD student, w/ patchwork pants sitting Indian-style on the roof of his car thoroughly enjoying the 3,000 or so runners passing in front of him. He made me happy. And so that is how I missed Mile 1. Mile 2: 18:28 – Sure I went out too fast, who doesn’t? Between Miles 1 & 2 we hit India Point Park, which was all new and different but in a good way; we ran past the Brown Boathouse, and under the 195 bridge, up Gano and down Pitman, and up past Whole Foods. All I remember about this part is that we were running through my old neighborhood on the East Side and it made me happy to be ‘home’. Mile 3:9:16 – Henderson Bridge and crossing the ‘mighty’ Seekonk. The sun was out and according to the bank, temperatures were rising. Started feeling overheated and realized that I needed to step it down a notch. Mile 4: 9:39- Right around Mile 4 all of the people really started to annoy me. There were a lot of marathoners but a whole heck of a lot more ½ marathoners. Now, when you’re running a marathon, the strategy is much different from when you’re only running a ½ and I was getting mighty tired of people counting down the miles until they were done. Mile 5: 10:32- Top of the Bike Path hill. I detested this hill when I rode it on my bike and running it didn’t seem to alter my opinion of it; in fact, I detested it even more. A lot of people passed me running up this hill but I was content to walk and keep my heart rate steady. Saw Sarah, Chris, and the RISD guy playing his guitar at the top which gave me a boost of adrenaline. Mile 6: 9:17- I think that there is a direct correlation between my pace and the exact moment that the lead runner is making his return. Mile 7: 10:48 – Hit the hill w/ two false summits and didn’t know which was worse, the Bike Path hill or this one. I did meet a Marathon Maniac on this hill though. We were the only two walking. Mile 8: 9:34 – Between Miles 7&8 the ½ marathoners made their return loop and we all breathed a collective sigh of relief. Many comments to the tune of, ‘now we can breath,’ were heard. Mile 9: 9:21 – Realized that I’m keeping a steady pace but am definitely feeling the lack of training. Chris drives by me at the Mile marker and informs me not to walk (Vicky later told him it’s part of my ‘plan’). Between Mile 9 & Mile 10 is the Carousel in Riverside; it’s a location just off the bike path that I discovered once I decided to be adventuresome and start ‘exploring’. Running through this area brought me joy and gave me a boost. Mile 10: 9:49 – Slowing down a bit here and the most memorable thing about this portion is a conversation I overheard regarding walking during marathons. I proceeded to run by and then walk at the mile marker. Mile 11 & 12: 20:20 – Missed Mile 11, we were once again on the bike path and heading out into Barrington. I remember thinking that maybe, just maybe, I should have signed up for the ½ instead. Mile 13: 10:13 – Heading into the double digits now and it’s all downhill from here. We’re running around a golf course and I was trying everything in my arsenal to stay present and focused. Mile 14: 10:00 – Still out around the golf course; remember that lack of training? My quads sure do. Mile 15: 11:44 – Pee break! Bushes are my friend. Mile 16 & 17: 21:17 – Once again I missed the mile marker and I’m slowing down. Mile 18: 10:52 – This had to be one of the worst stretches of the course; the wind was whipping up the sand and grit they had us running through; it was getting in my eyes and the dust really wasn’t all that pleasant to breath in, either. Mile 19: 7:45- WHAT? I’m starting to fall apart and having the mile markers ‘off’ didn’t help. It’s not that this mile was ‘short’ it’s more that you don’t know if the last mile, or the one you’re coming up on, will be long. Mile 20: 13:55 – Figured out the answer to the burning question; first mile was short, second one was long but hey, we’re in the 20’s! Mile 21:11:17 – We’ve passed through Riverside again and I’m on a part of the path that I haven’t been on in years. Instead of focusing on the running I start to remember various conversations and moments that I remember; i.e. who I was with at the time, where I was at in life whether it was college, Americorps, career. Mile 22: 10:59 – Getting faster, still on the bike path. Mile 23 & 24: 21:17 – Missed yet another mile marker. Told off a few spectators sitting at the bottom of the bike path hill that said, ‘only a 5k to go!’ It’s been a grueling 23 miles, only a 5k to go my ass! Needless to say I was pretty beat up. I do remember hitting Mile 24 just before we crossed the Seekonk on the bike path and passing a number of rather beaten up men. Mile 25: 11:58 – Back to India Point Park, past the Brown Boathouse, past the dock where I would sit for hours on end and watch the sailboats when I should have been studying, up and almost over the bike bridge and then back down to the road. Running back into Providence, looking at my city, picking a point and running. It was pure willpower and adrenaline. Mile 26: 11:11 – Not the fastest mile but one of the sweetest sights – only a ¼ mile to go! 26.2: 1:51 – 4:32:50, 44 seconds slower than MCM 2008 but feeling a whole hell of a lot worse. It made me really happy to see Vicky at the finish, snapping a photo as I tried to appear strong, stable and in control; but seeing the finish line but having nothing left in the tank to push with was humbling. All in all, it was a good marathon. Am I glad that I ran it? Yes! Would I do it again? Yes! Will I ever run a marathon w/ 2 days notice again? Why not?!
It’s a little over a week out. I’m still feeling pretty beat up but then again, pushing myself through a strenuous hike less than a week after running a marathon really doesn’t lend itself to a quiet recovery. Will I ever learn my lesson and slow down? Ha! That’s a good one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swim 1 hour